Action items from last meeting:
- Update on CSRT/CAN
- First training is underway
- Andre, Sara, and Denise are attending the Tuesday daytime sessions
- Two tracks right now: Tuesdays from 9am-5pm starting January 9 and ending February 13th; Thursdays and Fridays 5:30pm-9pm plus Saturdays 10am-6pm starting January 18th and ending February 3rd.
- Upon graduation you will have a certification as an advocate
- No fee but they are asking for a commitment of 5 volunteer hours per week for six months (this requirement is flexible)
- Discussion of the upcoming Women’s March Rally
- Denise will be requesting volunteers – reach out to Denise if you want to help
- Engagement actions planned for Tuesday through Friday
- Rights Society will have a table at the event
- Discussion of potential for ongoing donation drives
- Alexander has a contact that has a large amount of donated clothing that needs help sorting, cleaning and distributing
- Can we plan an RS event to assist with this?
- Maddy has a contact with St. Jude’s Women’s Auxiliary – they collect lost and found from major businesses – they are usually open to helping out other organizations
- Discussion Nevada’s Marriage and Family Board
- Board has moved locations and lost several key staff
- Planned on being closed for a month because of relocation. Now they are saying it will be another month before they reopen
- Psychological professionals are now in limbo because there is no activity in regards to paperwork being done by the board (renewals, applications, etc.)
- One professional told Denise that they applied for licensure 3 months ago and have not heard anything from the board since.
- Update on BDRs
- Denise has calls/meetings scheduled next month
- Planning for Mental Health Panels
- Autism/Behavioral Health/Education
- Suicide/PTSD/Violence Survivors/Veterans
- Incarceration and Mental Health
- Pharmaceuticals, Opioids, Cannabis, and Addiction
- Law enforcement and judiciary
- Panel including leaders from local resources (LVRMHC, NAMI, Icarus Project, Hearing Voices, etc.)
- The Center
- Nevada State College
- Greenspun Hall at UNLV
- Nadia knows an event coordinator at UNLV
- Time Frame
- 6 months?
- Limit to one day of programing
- Radio shows/Podcasts
Nadia explained that she was interested in us specifically because of community action. She would like to see agendas and newsletters so that she can tell what’s going on.
Shalom mentioned that it has been difficult to adjust to the three week schedule. Maybe break out meetings between community action and politics/legislative.
Alexander would like to start focusing in education in the next few months.
Jonas suggested that we could bring in more people by focusing meetings on single issues.
Sara brought up taking a vote for who is interested in legislation vs. community action. Also, alternate weeks between CJ and MH with a little time set aside for EDU at least until we have an official EDU team leader and concrete goals.
- Need for a calendar so that people can see what events are upcoming and what actions need to be completed
- Need to create a better plan for communications – consistent posting of notes, agendas posted prior to meetings, monthly or biweekly updates, more contact on action items, etc.
- Update on Criminal Justice
- Resource Document
- Jonas has the first page of the NVCure resource book
- Upcoming meeting with NDOC and P&P
- Re-entry advocacy
- Vegas Liberation Fund – Mother’s day bail out
- Resource Document
- Update on Education
- Book Club
- Next discussion will be January 27th.
- Next book is “Sidewalk” by Mitchell Duneier.
Saturday January 13th –
- Nevada Desert Experience is having an art making party to help create their float for the MLK day parade from 10am – 5pm Address: 418 Arnold St. 89106
- Food Not Bombs needs help setting up and serving vegetarian lunch in Molasky Park at noon – vegetarian food dishes are also appreciated
Monday January 15th
- MLK Parade
- Women’s March sign making party at the Las Vegas Indian Center from 4:30 – 7:30pm
Tuesday January 16th
Wednesday January 17th
- Stonewall Democratic Club monthly general meeting with guests Steve Sisolak and Hermon Farahi from 6-8pm at The Center
Thursday January 18th
- Training for the Homeless Census three different time slots: 8-9am, 12-1pm, or 5:45-6:45pm at Clark County Social Service 1600 Pinto Lane. The census itself will take place January 24-25 from 10pm-4am (urban) and January 25th from 7:30am-2:30pm (youth). Sign up at the link below:
Friday January 19th
- Rights Society Education meeting from 7-9pm at Grouchy John’s
Saturday January 20th
- Wolf-PAC meet-up at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (on Maryland pkwy across from UNLV) from 1-3pm
- 2nd Annual Las Vegas March to Reclaim King’s Radical Legacy at 2:30pm hosted by Stretch Sanders and ASU at the MLK statue 2428 N Martin Luther King Blvd
- Las Vegas Radical Mental Health Collective meeting at Transcending the Gender Box from 6-8pm
Sunday January 21st
- Women’s March Anniversary: Power to the Polls from 10am-4pm at Sam Boyd Stadium