Criminal Justice Meeting Notes 1/26/2018

Action items from last meeting:

 

  • Create event calendar
    • Alexander has a template for public calendars
    • May want to also create an RS dedicated through our own g-suite
  • Create a plan for communications
  • Action: For the next update – also add a small survey that asks everyone what other orgs they are involved with, what projects they are most interested in, what their skills are, and any projects/issues they want to focus on, preferred method of contact, any suggestions for how we improve our meetings
  • Action: research halfway house licensing requirements – how much legislative control is there over this? Andre to research.
    • Andre working on developing a business plan to open a halfway house.  Will have more of an update next meeting after discussing with JW from NV CURE.

City Regulations for Transitional Living

http://www5.lasvegasnevada.gov/LCAT/Bus_Lic_Instructions.aspx?Category=T55&CategoryName=Transitional%20Living%20Facility

 

State Application for Recovering Alcohol and Drug Abuse Housing

http://dpbh.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/dpbhnvgov/content/Reg/HealthFacilities/Docs/Checklists/HWH_Checklist.pdf

  • CJ Resource Document updates
    • Jonas
    • Nadia
    • Mark
    • Andre

 

Agenda:

 

  • Update on goals and projects
    • Re-entry Advocacy program
      • Alexander suggested creating a facebook event for a set time to vet resources
      • Goal is to have at least 3 trained advocates who can assist people who are released (or about to be released) with what to expect and how to navigate re-entry
      • We will need to familiarize ourselves with existing resources
        • Creating and maintaining a thorough resource document
        • Creating and maintaining working relationships with organizations who provide resources
      • Research on other re-entry advocacy programs
      • Brainstorm what else we need to do to get this started
        • PO Box
        • Burner phones for advocates
        • Miriam suggested that she wants to focus on sealing records and restoring voting rights.  Says records can be sealed within 30-90 days.  Pierson center meetings to have records sealed.  Support legislation that makes sealing records and restoring voting rights easier.
        • Denise talked about NRML and their 4/20 push to do record sealings – We need to network with the lawyers we already have on board
        • Denise estimates that the average inmate will need $3000 in their first month out (fines, services, housing, etc.)
        • Alexander brought up partnering with workers coops
        • Jon wants to form a project plan for this effort
          • Key participants
          • Milestones

 

  • BDR (long term)
  • Update on coalition projects
    • Vegas Freedom Fund
      • Video explanation will be coming sometime this week
    • Book drive for NV CURE
      • Ongoing donations needed – flyer will be socialized this week
    • LVRMHC/Street Medics De-escalation Training  (grant to train civilians on de-escalating police interactions)
      • Alexander to share event for people who are interested
    • Alexander’s surprise project 🙂
      • Six reports on state of affairs called the Radical Roundtable
      • 10 orgs representing 150 members
    • Ambra to talk about Wellcare – “New Hope Motel” contact
      • Reached out to contact from post Terese made in Facebook group
      • Providing resources for unhoused people
      • 80 people max
      • They act as caseworkers
      • They want to add more activities so if anyone wants to teach a class (1 hour month commitment) can be as simple as help reading, writing checks, setting up an email account, etc.

 

Open Discussion:

 

  • Miriam discussed that if you are not honorably discharged by parole/probation officer you will never be eligible for records sealing.  Record sealing and expungement are different.  Sealed records can be unsealed.
  • Kyle is studying convictions for marijuana and how the black population is still being disproportionately targeted
  • Report on 2007-2009 statistics of Marijuana Arrest
  • Kyle wants to collaborate on an article on what it takes to go from prison to the outside

 

Actions:

  • Schedule break out meeting for tech/website
  • Sara to make sure Jon is onboarded
  • Sara to write update email and work with Alexander on survey
  • Kyle will work on member login for website – can this just be a password protected section?  Or do we actually have to have individual member accounts?
  • Andre will update on halfway house meeting with JW
  • Resource spreadsheet
    • Denise
    • Milena
    • Ambra
    • Jordan
    • Billie
  • Sara to email and add to spreadsheet (done); Denise will follow up to make sure people are completing
  • Schedule Re-entry breakout meeting (done)
    • Victoria
    • Milena
    • Alexander
    • Denise
    • Sara
    • Jon
    • Andre
  • Schedule event as a dedicated time to vet resources (not at a specific location)
  • Jon to create rough project plan which we will discuss during breakout meeting

 

Team updates:

 

Announcements:

 

Saturday January 27th

    • Mixed Minds book club will be January 27th at Denise’s house

 

  • Downwinder’s Day vigil for the survivors of US nuclear weapons tests 1pm at the Nevada Nuclear Test Site carpoolers can meet at Nevada Desert Experience (1420 W Bartlett Ave, Las Vegas) at 11:30.

 

 

Monday January 29th

  • CCSD Special Board Meeting – Gender Diverse Student Policy at Valley High School 2839 Burnham Ave 89169 from 6pm-9pm

 

Wednesday January 31st

 

  • NV CURE monthly meeting at the Law Office of Gallian, Welker & Beckstrom 540 E. St. Louis Ave 89104 at 6:30pm
  • Our Revolution first general meeting at the Enterprise Library from 6pm-8pm

 

 

You Might Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *