June Update and Plans for Rights Society

We would like to thank everyone for their support in the fight to protect human rights. In just under 2 years, we have accomplished a lot.

  • Our Education Town Hall brought different issues to light within our Clark County School District from state testing to the Assembly Bill AB496 School Reorganization Bill that was adopted in the 2018 legislation.
  • We have lead multiple homeless outreach programs including collecting and distributing clothing, food and other necessities.
  • We created a public service announcement aimed at fighting the stigma around suicide and mental health issues. Video: https://rightssociety.us/fightthestigma/.
  • We co-led The Power of Justice: A Criminal Justice Discussion with elected officials, community members, and candidates.
  • We are active members of the Coalition For a Just DA which includes 10+ organizations working towards criminal justice reform.
  • We partnered with the Harrison House in the historic Westside to create a community garden and are actively seeking locations for future gardens.
  • We are working with NV-CURE to finalize a comprehensive resource guide to assist people who have recently been released from prison to access the services they need to succeed.
  • We have collected 10 boxes of used paperback books for NV-CURE to donate to Nevada prisons. We are still actively gathering paperback books for future donation.

 

Now, we are gearing up for many great things to come.  In the meantime, we are taking a short summer hiatus on our regular Friday meetings until Rights Society’s two-year anniversary event in mid-September. Over the next few months Rights Society will continue to work on issues, support our ally organizations, and focus on our plans for the future.

 

While we are on hiatus, we still want to get together and discuss the issues and will be hosting some social events as falls:

Human Rights Social – July 27th – Location TBD

Human Rights Social – August TBD

Rights Society 2 Year Anniversary Event Mid-September TBD

Follow us on Facebook or Instagram @rightssociety and sign up for our newsletter www.rightssociety.us  so you can be among the first to receive further details.

Thank you to all of our team leaders, volunteers, and partner organizations for working with us on the issues that directly impact our community.  We look forwarding to seeing all of you this summer.

 

 

Rights Society Mental Health Meeting Agenda – 2/16/2018

Rights Society Mental Health Meeting Agenda – 2/16/2018

Action items from last meeting:

Organization = Org

MH = Mental Health Team

  • Org – Schedule Team Leader meeting
  • Org – Kyle – Give website access to Jon so he can assist in uploading agendas/meeting notes
  • Org – ALL: Review survey questions and provide input by TUESDAY FEBRUARY 13th so that we can send out the survey email on Wednesday
  • Org – Unassigned: Give Victoria and Sierra access to RS members folder – Done
  • Org – Sam or Kyle: import emails from Women’s March to SendInBlue
  • MH – Denise: get in touch with MH organization for event planning – Done
  • MH – Denise: work with Victoria on Thunderclap – Done
  • MH – Denise: send info for UNLV to Sue – Done
  • MH – Denise: email Mel about PBS involvement – Done

Agenda: Mental Health

  • Update on CSRT/CAN
  • Update on Nevada’s Marriage and Family Board
  • Update on Medicaid reimbursement issue
    • Panel
    • PSA
    • Thunderclap
  • Discuss and assign new actions

Organization

  • Discuss survey – We probably won’t have many responses yet but let’s try to complete it ourselves to make sure it’s easy to use

Team Updates:

  • Criminal Justice
  • Education

Update on coalition projects:

  • NV CURE
    • Book Drive
  • PLAN
  • MayDay planning
  • LVRMHC/Street Medics De-escalation Training

Open Discussion:

New Actions:

Announcements:

Saturday February 17th

 

  • Las Vegas Radical Mental Health Collective meeting at 6pm at Transcending the Gender Box 1140 Almond Tree Lane 89104

 

Monday February 19th

 

  • Mass Liberation meeting at 6pm at the PLAN offices 2330 Paseo Del Prado Building C, Suite 109

 

 

Rights Society Criminal Justice Meeting Notes – 2/9/2018

Rights Society Criminal Justice Meeting Notes – 2/9/2018

Action items from last meeting:­

  • Sara to write update email and work with Alexander on survey
    • Update email was sent – Using SendInBlue
    • Survey is written – can be sent as soon as email situation is worked out
      • Review survey and get confirmation that it isn’t missing anything.
      • There was discussion regarding having 2 surveys?
        • Depending on the success of this survey we probably want to implement a simplified survey to send when people first sign up – as part of a welcome email?
        • We also have a survey we are working with PLAN on to distribute at their listening sessions to gather information on needs from the formerly incarcerated population
      • Add to survey – do people want to have phone access to meetings?
  • Kyle will work on member login for website
    • Sara has member login – Action: Get Jon access so he can assist in uploading agendas/meeting notes
  • Schedule event as a dedicated time to vet resources (not at a specific location)
    • This idea is on hold – we’ll wait and see if interest arises or if individual vetting is going ok as is
  • Create a plan for communications
    • Plan is created, report back from Kyle and Alexander and next steps

Agenda:

Criminal Justice

Update on Re-Entry Advocacy project

  • Debrief project meeting
    • Several people from PLAN (Leslie, Korey, Jagada, and Amanda) and RS (Sara, Jon, Denise, Kyle, Sam, and Victoria) were present.  The PLAN members are interested in assisting, including inviting us to pass out surveys at upcoming listening sessions for recently incarcerated people.
  • Status report on other re-entry programs
    • Victoria, Shalom, Jon, Sara
    • Victoria: A positive report on We Care Foundation and optimistic about Casa Grande; She will be setting up a meeting with them,  Sara would like to know what stage in the process the people in Casa Grande are in (pre-parole or parole?); Sara also has contacts with Casa Grande
    • Shalom: the first few links in the list were a bust but CASES in NYC looks to be an interesting network of resources
    • Sara: Homeboy Industries in LA – awesome model that started off getting people out of gangs.  They still do that work but it heavily overlaps with re-entry services.  LA friend vouched for them.  Sara is planning on taking a trip to LA at some point to network (tour Homeboy Industries, meet with experienced grant writer, connect with other re-entry programs, etc.)
  • Status report on resource vetting
    • Jonas, Nadia, Mark, Andre, Denise, Milena, Jordan, Ambra, Billie
    • Victoria added her vetting to the spreadsheet
    • Jordan’s vetting is done but we need to find out where because verified dates aren’t filled in (spreadsheet or somewhere else)
    • ACTION: DENISE: Follow up with the other persons regarding resource vetting
  • Discuss new actions
    • Victoria and Sara have discussed cross-referencing the information we collect with that from 2-1-1.  We’ll also want to cross ref with info from The Center and the NV CURE Resource Booklet
  • Andre: update on half-way house and meeting with JW from NV CURE
  • Sara: brief update from Sara on meeting with P&P and NV CURE monthly meeting
    • Parole and Probation – met with Lt. Brandon (P&P) and Mallory Triplett (Casa Grande).  They were open to working with re-entry advocates. So far they are mostly working with FIT, Hope for Prisoners, and Job Connect.  Lt. Brandon forwarded Sara an introduction to the director of the Day Reporting Center – Sara will be scheduling a tour
    • NV CURE is on board with helping us with re-entry advocacy in any way that they can.  They do have access to a large network of currently incarcerated people in NV.
  • Status update on BDR – exoneration research
    • Thank you to Victoria for filling in info on the exoneree spreadsheet
  • Discussion of other goals, projects, research the CJ team is interested in doing (BDRs, events, etc.)
    • ACTION: Sara: Follow up with Miriam regarding record sealing
    • Status of feminine products in NV prisons – Shalom to look into
    • What education is available to NV prisoners?

Organization

  • Kyle and Alexander: update on tech meeting
    • Goals:
      • Have a common email address that would use all of the Team Leaders as a group.
      • We are committing to Send In Blue for mass emails
  • Jon: Status report on project management plan

Update on coalition projects:

Update on MayDay planning

  • Next meeting is Wednesday the 14th – let Alex know if you want to attend
  • LVRMHC/Street Medics De-escalation Training
    • Alexander: Street Medics meeting Saturday the 10th
  • Radical Roundtable
    • Meeting is on Sunday–now up to 12 organizations

Open Discussion:

  • Discussion considering public webcast/phone-in for the meetings
  • Membership survey
    • Give Sierra and Victoria access to the folders
      • Specifically survey/survey feedback

Actions:

  • Schedule Team Leader meeting
  • Kyle: Give website access to Jon so he can assist in uploading agendas/meeting notes
  • Denise: Follow up with the other persons regarding resource vetting – Done
  • Sara: Assign additional resources – Victoria and Jordan both offered to continue vetting
  • Sara: Follow up with Miriam regarding sealing records
  • Unassigned: Research what options NV inmates have for education (high school equivalency, college, trade, etc.)
  • ALL: Review survey questions and provide input by TUESDAY FEBRUARY 13th so that we can send out the survey email on Wednesday
  • Unassigned: Give Victoria and Sierra access to RS members folder – Done

Book Club

Next discussion will be February 25th.

Next book is “Hand To Mouth: Living in Bootstrap America” by Linda Tirado.

https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Mouth-Living-Bootstrap-America/dp/0425277976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518137067&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+to+mouth+living+in+bootstrap+america

 

Announcements:

Thursday February 15th

Indie Lens Pop-up and Vegas PBS are hosting a free screening of the documentary Tell Them We Are Rising: The Story of Black Colleges and Universities along with live Q&A afterwards at Springs Preserve starting at 6pm

 

RSCJ Meeting AGENDA – 2018/02/09

Rights Society Criminal Justice Meeting Notes – 2/9/2018

Action items from last meeting:­

  • Sara to write update email and work with Alexander on survey
    • Update email was sent (email list?)
    • Survey is written – can be sent as soon as email situation is worked out
  • Kyle will work on member login for website – can this just be a password protected section?  Or do we actually have to have individual member accounts?
  • Schedule event as a dedicated time to vet resources (not at a specific location)
  • Create a plan for communications

Agenda: Criminal Justice

  • Update on Re-Entry Advocacy project
    • Debrief project meeting
    • Status report on other re-entry programs
      • Victoria, Shalom, Jon, Sara
    • Status report on resource vetting
      • Jonas, Nadia, Mark, Andre, Denise, Milena, Jordan, Ambra, Billie
    • Discuss new actions
  • Andre: update on half-way house and meeting with JW from NV CURE
  • Sara: brief update from Sara on meeting with P&P and NV CURE monthly meeting
  • Status update on BDR – exoneration research
  • Discussion of other goals, projects, research the CJ team is interested in doing (BDRs, events, etc.)

Organization

  • Kyle and Alexander: update on tech meeting
  • Jon: Status report on project management plan

 

Criminal Justice Meeting Notes 1/26/2018

Action items from last meeting:

 

  • Create event calendar
    • Alexander has a template for public calendars
    • May want to also create an RS dedicated through our own g-suite
  • Create a plan for communications
  • Action: For the next update – also add a small survey that asks everyone what other orgs they are involved with, what projects they are most interested in, what their skills are, and any projects/issues they want to focus on, preferred method of contact, any suggestions for how we improve our meetings
  • Action: research halfway house licensing requirements – how much legislative control is there over this? Andre to research.
    • Andre working on developing a business plan to open a halfway house.  Will have more of an update next meeting after discussing with JW from NV CURE.

City Regulations for Transitional Living

http://www5.lasvegasnevada.gov/LCAT/Bus_Lic_Instructions.aspx?Category=T55&CategoryName=Transitional%20Living%20Facility

 

State Application for Recovering Alcohol and Drug Abuse Housing

http://dpbh.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/dpbhnvgov/content/Reg/HealthFacilities/Docs/Checklists/HWH_Checklist.pdf

  • CJ Resource Document updates
    • Jonas
    • Nadia
    • Mark
    • Andre

 

Agenda:

 

  • Update on goals and projects
    • Re-entry Advocacy program
      • Alexander suggested creating a facebook event for a set time to vet resources
      • Goal is to have at least 3 trained advocates who can assist people who are released (or about to be released) with what to expect and how to navigate re-entry
      • We will need to familiarize ourselves with existing resources
        • Creating and maintaining a thorough resource document
        • Creating and maintaining working relationships with organizations who provide resources
      • Research on other re-entry advocacy programs
      • Brainstorm what else we need to do to get this started
        • PO Box
        • Burner phones for advocates
        • Miriam suggested that she wants to focus on sealing records and restoring voting rights.  Says records can be sealed within 30-90 days.  Pierson center meetings to have records sealed.  Support legislation that makes sealing records and restoring voting rights easier.
        • Denise talked about NRML and their 4/20 push to do record sealings – We need to network with the lawyers we already have on board
        • Denise estimates that the average inmate will need $3000 in their first month out (fines, services, housing, etc.)
        • Alexander brought up partnering with workers coops
        • Jon wants to form a project plan for this effort
          • Key participants
          • Milestones

 

  • BDR (long term)
  • Update on coalition projects
    • Vegas Freedom Fund
      • Video explanation will be coming sometime this week
    • Book drive for NV CURE
      • Ongoing donations needed – flyer will be socialized this week
    • LVRMHC/Street Medics De-escalation Training  (grant to train civilians on de-escalating police interactions)
      • Alexander to share event for people who are interested
    • Alexander’s surprise project 🙂
      • Six reports on state of affairs called the Radical Roundtable
      • 10 orgs representing 150 members
    • Ambra to talk about Wellcare – “New Hope Motel” contact
      • Reached out to contact from post Terese made in Facebook group
      • Providing resources for unhoused people
      • 80 people max
      • They act as caseworkers
      • They want to add more activities so if anyone wants to teach a class (1 hour month commitment) can be as simple as help reading, writing checks, setting up an email account, etc.

 

Open Discussion:

 

  • Miriam discussed that if you are not honorably discharged by parole/probation officer you will never be eligible for records sealing.  Record sealing and expungement are different.  Sealed records can be unsealed.
  • Kyle is studying convictions for marijuana and how the black population is still being disproportionately targeted
  • Report on 2007-2009 statistics of Marijuana Arrest
  • Kyle wants to collaborate on an article on what it takes to go from prison to the outside

 

Actions:

  • Schedule break out meeting for tech/website
  • Sara to make sure Jon is onboarded
  • Sara to write update email and work with Alexander on survey
  • Kyle will work on member login for website – can this just be a password protected section?  Or do we actually have to have individual member accounts?
  • Andre will update on halfway house meeting with JW
  • Resource spreadsheet
    • Denise
    • Milena
    • Ambra
    • Jordan
    • Billie
  • Sara to email and add to spreadsheet (done); Denise will follow up to make sure people are completing
  • Schedule Re-entry breakout meeting (done)
    • Victoria
    • Milena
    • Alexander
    • Denise
    • Sara
    • Jon
    • Andre
  • Schedule event as a dedicated time to vet resources (not at a specific location)
  • Jon to create rough project plan which we will discuss during breakout meeting

 

Team updates:

 

Announcements:

 

Saturday January 27th

    • Mixed Minds book club will be January 27th at Denise’s house

 

  • Downwinder’s Day vigil for the survivors of US nuclear weapons tests 1pm at the Nevada Nuclear Test Site carpoolers can meet at Nevada Desert Experience (1420 W Bartlett Ave, Las Vegas) at 11:30.

 

 

Monday January 29th

  • CCSD Special Board Meeting – Gender Diverse Student Policy at Valley High School 2839 Burnham Ave 89169 from 6pm-9pm

 

Wednesday January 31st

 

  • NV CURE monthly meeting at the Law Office of Gallian, Welker & Beckstrom 540 E. St. Louis Ave 89104 at 6:30pm
  • Our Revolution first general meeting at the Enterprise Library from 6pm-8pm

 

 

Mental Health Meeting Notes – 2/2/2018

Action items from last meeting:

 

Agenda:

 

  • Update on CSRT/CAN
  • Debrief Women’s March Rally
    • Denise: Event had a national and local team, and was a campaign kickoff for “Power to the Polls”.  It is understood that the local team registered many new voters at the event.
    • Sam: There were 60 new email signups and interest and some even from out-of-state.
  • Update on  potential for ongoing donation drives
    • Paperback book drive for inmates is on a donation schedule, rotating through various prisons
    • Shalom: For a fundraiser, use shirts, once we have a complete stock
  • Update on Nevada’s Marriage and Family Board
    • The director and interim director are no longer working for the board.  There is only one person now on the board.  This board governs Marriage and Family Therapists (MFTs) & Licensed Professional Counselors.
    • In 2016, Medicaid changed how they reimburse for these services.  This was not made known to counselors, and was not fully established until 2017.  There is a risk of Medicaid not being accepted, or the loss of professionals providing services.  The MPA has asked Rights Society to do a campaign on this.
    • They are writing a statement to be released in the press this week.  The campaign we implement should start soon, so we can initiate the discussion, and use a multiple-media approach. (Press release, PSA, Twitter, etc.)
    • We will collaborate to use similar wording, points, etc.
  • ***BRANCH***
    • Change of Intent due to pressing issue–Focus on the MFB issue.
    • Panel Activity under consideration.
    • Venue & Date consideration
      • Suggestion: UNLV, due to familiarity and professional environment
      • Advertising Flyer
      • Press Release formatted for local news
    • Target Audiences:
      • Mental Health Professionals (primary)
      • General affected public (notified)
    • Action Item: Denise — contact the correct organizations and determine the best day of the week for such an event
    • Commits:
      • Sierra–interpersonal engagement
      • Shalom–Day of event planning
      • Gina–Editing statements and PRs
      • Denise–Planner, Speaker organizer
      • Alexander–Co-planner
      • Billie–Rover
      • Sara–Day of support; planning support
      • Victoria–Branding, marketing publicity Action: Denise will establish Thunderclap for Victoria to activate
      • Sue–Reach out to UNLV for venue  Action: Denise will send Sue information for UNLV to use for required support
      • Kyle–Branding, marketing, imagery and photography, create PSA, lead concept for video and development
      • Sam–assist Kyle
      • Valessa–Social, Comm, Day of event
      • Sabrina–Communications & PR
      • Andrew–Spread-the-word, social communications
      • Ambra–Support Kyle
      • Action: Denise will email Mel about PBS involvement
    • Shalom will be the PR POC
    • WHAT: Objective: Influence and pressure to get Medicaid reimbursement changed, in order to improve the access to and efficacy of mental health treatment in Nevada, working title, “Repairing Mental Health-Nevada”
    • Next meetings
      • 7 Feb – 7 pm at Sara’s house – the Criminal Justice Breakout meeting
      • 8 Feb – 6 pm at Alex’s house – the Mental Health Breakout
      • Week of 12 Feb, TBD, Technical Comms Breakout (Team Leaders)
    • (9 Feb): Criminal Justice meeting upcoming
  • Update on BDRs
  • Planning for Mental Health Panels
    • Topics
      • Autism/Behavioral Health/Education
      • Suicide/PTSD/Violence Survivors/Veterans
      • Incarceration and Mental Health
      • Pharmaceuticals, Opioids, Cannabis, and Addiction
      • Law enforcement and judiciary
      • LGBTQIA2+
      • Panel including leaders from local resources (LVRMHC, NAMI, Icarus Project, Hearing Voices, etc.)
    • Locations
      • The Center
      • Nevada State College
      • Greenspun Hall at UNLV
        • Nadia knows an event coordinator at UNLV
      • CSN
    • Time Frame
      • 6 months?
      • Limit to one day of programing
    • Advertising
      • Radio shows/Podcasts
      • Flyering

 

Open Discussion:

 

Actions:

  • Interest in scheduling a new meeting for technical communications

 

Team updates:

  • Update on Criminal Justice
    • Meeting with NDOC and P&P
    • Re-entry advocacy
    • Vegas Liberation Fund – Mother’s day bail out
  • Update on Education
  • Book Club

 

Announcements:

 

 

  •  

 

 

Education and Organizational Meeting Notes 1/19/2018

Action items from last meeting:

  • Need for a calendar so that people can see what events are upcoming and what actions need to be completed
  • Need to create a better plan for communications – consistent posting of notes, agendas posted prior to meetings, monthly or biweekly updates,  more contact on action items, etc.
    • Discussion of how to keep in contact with the group and assign tasks
      • Facebook group
      • Website – with log-in
      • Bulletin board
      • Try to set expectations that when there is an ask everyone will at least respond one way or the other  ,
    • John is stepping up to act as Secretary/Co-program manager
    • We also need someone focused on communications content – social media, blog, news releases
    • Alexander brought up the idea of having members make a write up of themselves
    • Action: For the next update – also add a small survey that asks everyone what other orgs they are involved with, what projects they are most interested in, what their skills are, and any projects/issues they want to focus on, preferred method of contact, any suggestions for how we improve our meetings
    • Prioritize tasks so that action items don’t pile up and become overwhelming
    • Alexander suggested adding project updates in the agenda so that people can catch up before the meeting
      • Also break out project/team meetings that then report back to general meetings
    • Alexander is volunteering to lead Education but not until March
    • Andre suggested that at the end of each meeting we go around the table and commit to do some action for the next meeting.
  • Discussion of whether we are going to schedule just CJ and MH

 

  • CJ Resource Document
    • Jonas
    • Nadia
    • Mark
    • Andre

 

Agenda:

 

  • Update on goals and projects
    • Mental Health panels – questions we need to answer
      • Goals for the panel
      • Decide on scope so that we can figure out how long we need to plan
      • Decide whether we want to include legislative action
      • What other actions do we want to see come from this
      • Is this going to be a single event or a continuing
        • Ask people in the industry what they are lacking
        • Bring in speakers with progressive policies
        • Educate community about what they can do to be supportive
      • Do we want to do this in two steps?  One panel at the end of April (Mental Health Awareness month) and then full symposium in the fall
    • Brainstorming from last meeting:
      • Topics
        • Autism/Behavioral Health/Education
        • Suicide/PTSD/Violence Survivors/Veterans
        • Incarceration and Mental Health
        • Pharmaceuticals, Opioids, Cannabis, and Addiction
        • Law enforcement and judiciary
        • LGBTQIA2+
        • Panel including leaders from local resources (LVRMHC, NAMI, Icarus Project, Hearing Voices, etc.)
      • Locations
        • The Center
        • Nevada State College
        • Greenspun Hall at UNLV
          • Nadia knows an event coordinator at UNLV
        • CSN
      • Time Frame
        • 6 months?
        • Limit to one day of programing
      • Advertising
        • Radio shows/Podcasts
        • Flyering
    • Criminal Justice reentry advocacy
    • Plan for concrete goals and actions for Education team along with division of labor
  • Update on outstanding actions
    • Mental Health
    • Criminal Justice
    • Education
    • Organization
  • Plan for communication – Website? Facebook page and group? Updates/Newsletter?
  • Add details to our member roster: individual strengths, associated organizations, etc.

 

Open Discussion:

 

LaDon introduced himself and his wife Shalonda – they have a developmentally disabled child so they are very interested in the mental health team.  Shalonda works for CCSD and sees a lot of needs that are lacking for services.  

 

Actions:

 

Team updates:

 

 

Announcements:

 

Saturday January 20th

    • Wolf-PAC meet-up at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (on Maryland pkwy across from UNLV) from 1-3pm
    • 2nd Annual Las Vegas March to Reclaim King’s Radical Legacy at 2:30pm hosted by Stretch Sanders and ASU at the MLK statue 2428 N Martin Luther King Blvd

 

  • Las Vegas Radical Mental Health Collective meeting at Transcending the Gender Box from 6-8pm

 

 

Sunday January 21st

 

  • Women’s March Anniversary: Power to the Polls from 10am-4pm at Sam Boyd Stadium

 

 

Wednesday/Thursday January 24-25th

  • Homeless Census will take place January 24-25 from 10pm-4am (urban) and January 25th from 7:30am-2:30pm (youth).  Sign up at the link below:
    • http://helphopehome.org/volunteer/

 

Mental Health Meeting Notes 1/12/2018

Action items from last meeting:

  • None

 

Agenda:

 

  • Update on CSRT/CAN
    • First training is underway
    • Andre, Sara, and Denise are attending the Tuesday daytime sessions
    • Two tracks right now: Tuesdays from 9am-5pm starting January 9 and ending February 13th; Thursdays and Fridays 5:30pm-9pm plus Saturdays 10am-6pm starting January 18th and ending February 3rd.
    • Upon graduation you will have a certification as an advocate
    • No fee but they are asking for a commitment of 5 volunteer hours per week for six months (this requirement is flexible)
  • Discussion of the upcoming Women’s March Rally
    • Denise will be requesting volunteers – reach out to Denise if you want to help
    • Engagement actions planned for Tuesday through Friday
    • Rights Society will have a table at the event
  • Discussion of potential for ongoing donation drives
    • Alexander has a contact that has a large amount of donated clothing that needs help sorting, cleaning and distributing
    • Can we plan an RS event to assist with this?
    • Maddy has a contact with St. Jude’s Women’s Auxiliary – they collect lost and found from major businesses – they are usually open to helping out other organizations
  • Discussion Nevada’s Marriage and Family Board
    • Board has moved locations and lost several key staff
    • Planned on being closed for a month because of relocation.  Now they are saying it will be another month before they reopen
    • Psychological professionals are now in limbo because there is no activity in regards to paperwork being done by the board (renewals, applications, etc.)
    • One professional told Denise that they applied for licensure 3 months ago and have not heard anything from the board since.
  • Update on BDRs
    • Denise has calls/meetings scheduled next month
  • Planning for Mental Health Panels
    • Topics
      • Autism/Behavioral Health/Education
      • Suicide/PTSD/Violence Survivors/Veterans
      • Incarceration and Mental Health
      • Pharmaceuticals, Opioids, Cannabis, and Addiction
      • Law enforcement and judiciary
      • LGBTQIA2+
      • Panel including leaders from local resources (LVRMHC, NAMI, Icarus Project, Hearing Voices, etc.)
    • Locations
      • The Center
      • Nevada State College
      • Greenspun Hall at UNLV
        • Nadia knows an event coordinator at UNLV
      • CSN
    • Time Frame
      • 6 months?
      • Limit to one day of programing
    • Advertising
      • Radio shows/Podcasts
      • Flyering

 

Open Discussion:

 

Nadia explained that she was interested in us specifically because of community action.  She would like to see agendas and newsletters so that she can tell what’s going on.  

 

Shalom mentioned that it has been difficult to adjust to the three week schedule.  Maybe break out meetings between community action and politics/legislative.

 

Alexander would like to start focusing in education in the next few months.

 

Jonas suggested that we could bring in more people by focusing meetings on single issues.

 

Sara brought up taking a vote for who is interested in legislation vs. community action.  Also, alternate weeks between CJ and MH with a little time set aside for EDU at least until we have an official EDU team leader and concrete goals.

 

Actions:

  • Need for a calendar so that people can see what events are upcoming and what actions need to be completed
  • Need to create a better plan for communications – consistent posting of notes, agendas posted prior to meetings, monthly or biweekly updates,  more contact on action items, etc.

 

Team updates:

 

 

Announcements:

 

Saturday January 13th –

  • Nevada Desert Experience is having an art making party to help create their float for the MLK day parade from 10am – 5pm Address: 418 Arnold St. 89106
  • Food Not Bombs needs help setting up and serving vegetarian lunch in Molasky Park at noon – vegetarian food dishes are also appreciated

 

Monday January 15th

  • MLK Parade
  • Women’s March sign making party at the Las Vegas Indian Center from 4:30 – 7:30pm

 

Tuesday January 16th

 

Wednesday January 17th

  • Stonewall Democratic Club monthly general meeting with guests Steve Sisolak and Hermon Farahi from 6-8pm at The Center

 

Thursday January 18th

  • Training for the Homeless Census three different time slots: 8-9am, 12-1pm, or 5:45-6:45pm at Clark County Social Service 1600 Pinto Lane.  The census itself will take place January 24-25 from 10pm-4am (urban) and January 25th from 7:30am-2:30pm (youth).  Sign up at the link below:
    • http://helphopehome.org/volunteer/

 

Friday January 19th

  • Rights Society Education meeting from 7-9pm at Grouchy John’s

 

Saturday January 20th

    • Wolf-PAC meet-up at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (on Maryland pkwy across from UNLV) from 1-3pm
    • 2nd Annual Las Vegas March to Reclaim King’s Radical Legacy at 2:30pm hosted by Stretch Sanders and ASU at the MLK statue 2428 N Martin Luther King Blvd

 

  • Las Vegas Radical Mental Health Collective meeting at Transcending the Gender Box from 6-8pm

 

 

Sunday January 21st

 

  • Women’s March Anniversary: Power to the Polls from 10am-4pm at Sam Boyd Stadium

 

 

Criminal Justice Reform Team Meeting January 5, 2018

Action items from last meeting

 

  • Action: Re-Entry resource List
  • Action: research halfway house licensing requirements – how much legislative control is there over this?

City Regulations for Transitional Living

http://www5.lasvegasnevada.gov/LCAT/Bus_Lic_Instructions.aspx?Category=T55&CategoryName=Transitional%20Living%20Facility

 

State Application for Recovering Alcohol and Drug Abuse Housing

http://dpbh.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/dpbhnvgov/content/Reg/HealthFacilities/Docs/Checklists/HWH_Checklist.pdf

 

Andre to do further research

Resource List Link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rrYL0mqfPCVjQRuVHuOi-4bWFbncQqm2GvYUg6CEabE/edit?usp=sharing

 

  • Action: Research Second Chance Act Grant
    • The program provides funding to expand substance use disorder treatment and related recovery and reentry services.

https://csgjusticecenter.org/nrrc/announcements/apply-now-samhsas-offender-reentry-program/

 

    • The NRRC was established by the Second Chance Act (Public Law 110-199). Signed into law in 2008, the Second Chance Act authorizes federal grants to government agencies and nonprofit organizations to provide reentry services—including employment assistance, substance use treatment, housing, family programming, mentoring, victims support, and other services—and to support corrections and supervision practices that aim to reduce recidivism.https://csgjusticecenter.org/nrrc/about/

 

Agenda

 

  • Brainstorm what we want to focus on for 2018 in CJ
    • Reentry advocacy?
      • Link up with NV CURE
    • Innocence claims?
    • Public information campaigns?
      • Skype visits instead of in person visits
  • Coalition events
    • NRML – having an event where they are going to help people with marijuana offenses to get their record sealed
    • PLAN decarceration project
      • Townhall with orgs who are being impacted

 

  • BDRs
    • I’d like for the CJ team to make it a long term task to work on a compensation statute.  With the recent exonerations here in NV it might be a good time to push this issue.
      • Actions for this BDR
        • Research Nevada exonerations
          • How many have there been?
          • How long were the sentences/how much time was served?
          • Was there compensation paid out?  If so, how much and was it after a lawsuit?
          • What were the contributing factors to the conviction (eyewitness identification, jailhouse informant, ineffective assistance of counsel, police and/or prosecutorial misconduct, false confession, faulty science or conflicting expert testimony, etc.)
          • Link to Google sheet for this info: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hgFWP7X8XhOBsQiMCX1imTGUYkDmVAwIWDEla3AgFIg/edit?usp=sharing
        • Networking with NV Bar (Sara), UNLV, and victims groups
        • Research on legislators who may be sympathetic
        • Review info from PA (Sara)
    • Open to working on or supporting other BDRs or finding other ways to support the BDR initiatives we discussed (especially licensing restrictions for halfway houses)

 

  • General:
    • Keep sharing Go Fund Me
      • Brainstorm how to push this
      • Did donation issue get fixed?
    • January Community service project – Women’s March?
      • HIstory of women in power and how it changes policy
      • Brainstorm ideas for engagement
        • Personal stories about strong women in our lives
        • Quotes from women in politics
        • Shalom – Seven Sisters Org
  • Announcements:
    • Las Vegas Radical Mental Health Collective – Saturday 6pm at Transcending the Gender Box
    • Art making party for the MLK parade for Nevada Desert Experience – 10am at 1420 W Bartlett Ave, Las Vegas, Nevada 89106
    • I am Not Your Negro PBS screening – Tuesday 6pm

 

Mental Health Meeting Notes 12/22/2017

Two new attendees – Chief and Victoria

 

Action items from last meeting:

  • Action: Still looking for people interested in going through the CAN training – Next orientation is January 4th – If you can’t make it to orientation that’s ok – we can fast track you 😉
  • Action: Kyle, Sam, and Melodie to distribute donations from warm clothing drive on Saturday

 

Agenda:

 

  • Update on CSRT/CAN
    • Next Orientation – January 4th at 6pm at The Center
    • Denise gave an overview of the background and how this program and collaboration
  • Discussion of the Lambda lunch with presentation by Metro
    • LEAD program – Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion
    • Idea is to train police in advocacy and give them the authority to divert minor drug offenses to programs instead of jail
    • Some problems that Denise brought up directly to Officer Ruis:
      • If officers are given discretion they are going to abuse it – there needs to be objective criteria
      • If they are only getting one pass it’s not going to do anything
  • Discussion of the upcoming Women’s March
    • Denise is acting as the Chair of the Youth Engagement Committee
      • Denise will need help with volunteers and specific projects
    • They are actively addressing the problems that came up surrounding intersectionality in the first Women’s March
    • They want to make sure security isn’t (or at least doesn’t come off as) militarized
  • Discussion on Rights Society activities surrounding voter registrations
    • It’s not necessarily an initiative of RS but we do want to inform and empower people to vote (especially in primaries)
    • Focus more on why it is important to vote in non-presidential elections and what the issues are
    • PSA or some other informational campaign

 

  • Update on BDRs
    • Denise has updates on contacts
      • Nelson still won’t talk to us
    • Trauma/mental health training for law enforcement
    • Mandatory requirements regarding involuntary holds to protect patients
      • Melodie has contacts with counselors who may be interested in talking to us
      • Can we get in contact with the insurance lobbyist and find out if this is on their radar as a problem
      • Are there any patient advocacy groups
    • Official standards for maintaining the patient-to-professional ratio in Nevada
    • https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YONJjEwEy7l3u6LAhSYAC9HFxYRwa4yJQ1DAR9PBErA/edit?usp=sharing
  • Update on research on homeless and mentally ill population
    • Tabled for future discussion
  • Read through AB366 (Mental Health redistricting)
    • Tabled for future discussion

 

  • Discussion and commitment to community service action for January

 

Team updates:

 

Announcements:

 

  • Friday December 29th
    • Rights Society Education meeting – 7pm at Grouchy John’s
  • Saturday December 30th
    • Berner meet and greet – 7pm at The Eliphino Dive and Dine

 

January 11th at 5:30pm  – Understanding the Opioid Network screening and panel – through PBS – Nicholas Horn theater at CSN

Note for Kyle – give Sara access so I can pin the notes in the group page?